Jun 16, 2013

June Finds


Pickings have been fairly slim lately, and I've come up empty handed quite a few times during thrifting adventures. Patience is a virtue however, and I have come up with some great finds in the past month regardless. I've also been checking eBay pretty regularly and a made a couple purchases through there as well. 

Here's the latest acquisitions: 

A Brooks Brothers Fun Shirt . Every prep must own at least (and possibly no more than) one  variation of it.
This particular example is made from two different color stripes, yellow on the front, and blue on the back.
Ebay: $11
Retail: $70?


I'd heard of British shirtmaker Charles Tyrwhitt but never found a CT shirt at the thrifts before. This one happened to be in my size, and I found the feel of the fabric to be FANTASTIC. Seriously. Super soft, and a great spread collar as well.
A steal at $4.
Retail: $70

The Saks label on this shirt grabbed my attention. I then noticed the Mother of Pearl buttons, and the high quality oxford cloth. I picked it up because it was in my size. When I got home, I did a search on the "RN" Number on the tag (Look on your dress shirts sometime, you may see this mysterious number) and the search revealed this shirt was manufactured by Gitman Brothers!
Not bad for $4.
 Retail: ~$100
I spotted these two corduroy sport coats from J.Crew. They were in good shape, and the one on the right is a 3/2 roll making it quite trad. They are too big for me, but I'll be selling them at a fair price very soon! Comment if interested.
Retail: $138 each.



I discovered a tiny thrift store attached to a church in the town over that I never realized was there. The selection of men's clothing was quite small, but I did spot these beauties: Madras patchwork shorts.
Thrifted: $5
Retail: $75


Found this like-new Brooks Pima Cotton polo. The fabric is super soft and more substantial than their traditional pique offerings. This one is sans-logo making it a little more discrete. The seams around the arms are the same as those on my Pima sweater, a kind of ribbed stitching that you don't see on many Polo shirts.
Paid $3
Retail $80

J. Crew seersuckery cotton tie.
Not much to say, but it is very summery indeed.
Paid $1
Retail: $65

Was working on building my collection of BB Repp ties (tie article to come soon!)
and found this one on eBay. Had to have it.
Paid $9
Retail: $79


Last but not least, found this today.
It's a GANT grey flannel suit, in damn near mint condition. This is interesting because as fast as I know, GANT has never been known for their suits. At least they don't sell them now as far as I can tell.
I'm looking into some expert advice about the fit, and I may have some tailor alterations done, but to me, this was a great find, considering I RARELY come across suits that are of any quality, without missing components, that also fit me.

Paid: $12
Retail....???

Not a bad start to the Month, I'd say! 

2 comments :

  1. Just discovered your blog today and read every post! Keep up the great work. I'm going to check out my local Goodwill for the first time tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sean! Your support is very much appreciated. I am working on a new post all about ties, so you will have something to look forward to .

    Tips for Goodwill shopping:
    How many really depends on where you live, but there always are always good items to be had. If you are not so successful your first time out, don't be discouraged. I make many trips that turn up nothing...but then (surprisingly more often than not) I find really great stuff too.

    Also, make sure you know your size and don't be afraid to try things on (if they have a place for that) before buying. Some of my first purchases ended up not fitting at all...but I guess you learn as you go!

    ReplyDelete