Jan 12, 2014

Identifying Brooks Brothers Labels

One of the great joys of thrifing (for me anyways) is coming across items from all different years and decades. Since Brooks Brothers have been producing clothing for nearly 200 years, It should come as no surprise that the labeling has changed many times over as well.

 Below is an (incomplete) chronology of some of the shirt and tie labels I have come across. Feel free to chime in with comments if you have information that could be useful to completing this timeline! I will continue to add photos and information to this article as they become available to me.

Sport Shirts

(Alpha-Sized, Button down collars)

I have seen several renditions of this larger sport shirt label, 
but I believe they are from the mid to late-2000's.

Rectangular label from the early to mid 2000's

Modern sport shirt label

Modern sport shirt with "Big Label"
Currently used on many "Red Fleece" line products.


Dress Shirts

(Numerically sized)

Image borrowed from Nantucket-Sleighride tumblr.
 This label dates back to the mid 1950's before it was mandated 
to have fabric care or content information on the tag. 


Another Label, circa 1952  (from amodernist.blogspot.com/)


1980's era tag


Early 90's tag

1990's era shirt tag with laundering instructions.

Another example of the rectangular tag. Used in the Ear;y 2000's

"Golden Fleece" luxury shirt.
Modern 346 tag. Notice the sizing is "averaged" between 34-35.
Coincidentally I actually like this sleeve length...


Modern (2013) Made in USA OCBD

Modern "Luxury" label (purple),
Egyptian cotton woven in Italy and Made in USA.

Polo Shirts

A recent tag I discovered which looks be at least from the 1980's


1980 Spring/Summer tag, See my ''1980's" post for the catalog scan!

The Golden Fleece "throwback" tag

Brooks "Sport" branded shirt. Notice "Northern Mariana Islands...USA"
Pretty sneaky if you ask me.


Modern "346" Polo shirt. The words "performance polo" are 
missing as that is specifically a mainline Brooks Brothers product. 

Original Fit Performance Polo. 
It seems like these are interchangeably made between 
Malaysia and China (probably depending on production year)

Modern "Slim Fit" Polo. Made in Malaysia

Modern "Garment dyed" polo shirt. Big label.


 Ties

1960's -1970's era tie label

1980's era label

Brooks "Basics" label (was this the predecessor of the 346 line?)

Modern "346" brand label
Modern (with cursive font) "Makers" tie label

"Stain Resistant" line















5 comments :

  1. I'd say I have a sport shirt from the 2000's....what do you think?? http://endlesssummertreasures.wordpress.com/2014/04/18/brooks-brothers-shirt/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice find! That gingham pattern will be great for Spring and Summer. Notice it's also made in Hong Kong, which has a bit of a nicer reputation for tailoring than say...Malaysia or China. I'm not sure exactly when they phased out that label but I'd say it was probably from within the past 10 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have another label that's all navy blue with white writing. Was wondering if you knew anything about that label

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen that label- It's been used on Brooks Brothers shirts sold in department stores like Nordstrom. I haven't owned one so I can't comment on the quality per se- but many I've seen are for the non-iron dress shirts and are probably not much different than the regular offerings.


    ReplyDelete
  5. Have any of you ever come across a Brooks Brothers button down dress shirt that had the fleece emblem on a tag (small white tag with blue fleece) on the pocket?

    ReplyDelete